Tell the Media: Don't Do PR for Racists
“Alt-right” is a term white nationalists and white supremacists use to obscure their overtly racist, anti-Semitic, xenophobic and misogynist agenda.
Too many media outlets are using the term without definition or context — and these omissions help normalize extremist groups and create an environment where increased levels of dehumanization, harassment and violence against Muslims, immigrants, people of color, women and LGBTQI folks become daily occurrences.
People's lives are at risk as members of the incoming Trump administration call for mass deportation of undocumented people, a ban on Muslims entering the country,1 and suppression of the Black vote.2 According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there were 701 reported incidents of hateful harassment in the 10 days following the election.3 These incidents can't be separated from Trump's hateful platform or the agenda of the so-called “alt-right.”4
The Associated Press is now urging the media to stop using the term "alt-right" without definition or context.5 The media must hold the administration and white supremacist groups accountable for their actions and stop doing PR for racists.
Original image by the Blue Diamond Gallery
1. "What the Alt-Right Actually Wants from President Trump," Vox, Nov. 28, 2016: http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/28/13716038/alt-right-policy-platform-trump
2. "Trump's Chief Adviser Reportedly Made These Incredibly Racist Comments About Voting," Fusion, Nov. 28, 2016: http://fusion.net/story/372360/steve-bannon-black-voters-donald-trump/
3. "Update: Incidents of Hateful Harassment Since Election Day Now Number 701,” Southern Poverty Law Center, Nov. 18, 2016: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/11/18/update-incidents-hateful-harassment-election-day-now-number-701
4. "Hitler Salutes and White Supremacism: A Weekend with the ‘Alt-Right,’" The Guardian, Nov. 21, 2016: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/21/alt-right-conference-richard-spencer-white-nationalists
5. “Writing About the ‘Alt-Right,’” Associated Press, Nov. 28, 2016: https://blog.ap.org/behind-the-news/writing-about-the-alt-right